Here is an informative video for basic joining instructions.
You DO NOT HAVE TO SIGN UP with Zoom, it is 100% free as a participant. BUT getting a free account is best way to use the app from your computer! Check out how here...
Below are guidelines for joining a Zoom meeting. Using a Laptop with built-in camera and microphone is somewhat different than a desktop Computer, which typically don't.
Critical to Zooming is being connected to the internet (or wi-fi) . If your house has slow internet connection or poor wi-fi connection, you may have poor results. Test this out in advance (contact the Choir Manager to see who can help you).
USING A COMPUTER
General Computer Requirements
- To fully connect to Zoom, your computer will the following capablities:
- A Camera or "Web Cam"
- Typically, most desktops do NOT have a built in camera or microphone but do have speakers. You can still connect to Zoom with limited functionality:
- No Camera -- you will SEE the Zoom, but others will not see you.
- No Microphone -- you will HEAR the Zoom, but you will not be able to talk to group.
- No Speakers -- you will not hear the Zoom
- What to do:
- Get a USB headphones/mic unit -- which will give you the ability to hear and speak with the group.
- Alternately, you can join the group via telephone (see how here...)
- Add a Web Cam to your computer, which will also plug in via USB connection.
- NOTE: There are wireless or "Bluetooth" products for both Headphones and Cam - but they are not recommended. For best speed and clarity, use wired (USB) devices!
USING A LAPTOP
General Computer Requirements
Newer Laptops usually have built-in cameras and microphones. If yours doesn't, see "Computer" above.
Connecting to the Zoom
- First Time connection:
- From your email, simply click this web address supplied to join the meeting.
- This will take you to Zoom.us to connect.
- The website will suggest you load the app to your computer.
- It is not REQUIRED for you to use the App - IF you are on a PC using Chrome or Edge, you can join using just a web browser.
Look for: "If you cannot download or run the application, join from your browser."
- Click to download the software and follow instructions to install. (learn more here)
- Subsequent connections -- When the client app is installed or If you already have the Zoom client application installed:
- Click the "Join A Meeting" option.
- Enter the Meeting ID provided.
- Zoom will 'remember' the meeting name/ID to re-use in the future!
- Enter the Password provided.
- Most Choir meetings use the SAME PASSWORD, but you do have to enter it every time.
Test your Devices
Here are a couple of great pages from ZOOM help about testing:
Joining the Meeting
- Waiting Room: Sometimes you may see a message on the screen identifying the meeting information. This is the "Waiting Room". The moderator will 'let you in" to the meeting as soon as possible. Otherwise, you will immediately join the group.
- Along the way to Waiting Room, you may also be asked to test and verify your Microphone and Video Camera.
- If it is your first time using Zoom, do these tests to be sure your equipment is communicating correctly.
- (you can also do this once you get into the meeting).
- There may be multiple options for each function, so if the defaults don't work, try the others.